Outdoor Wales onLine
Research, explore, discover.... The Welsh
countryside at your fingertips -
use our interactive OWoL map and see what's out there!
You can use Outdoor Wales onLine to find everything from short or
long hikes to boating and bird watching and picnic areas...plus
links to useful information such as weather forecasts, travel or
where to find accommodation.
What you can find on OWoL:
- Mapped information on water based recreation and other
activities such as climbing and mountain biking;
- Mapped information on access to different types of land
including open access;
- Routes for walking and cycling including National Trails, local
routes and other public paths;
- Places to visit such as National Nature Reserves and Woodland
- Parking and public toilets near the place you are
- OWoL has been developed to meet with the Royal National
Institute for the Blind web mapping accessibility. If you struggle
to use a mouse and prefer to use the keyboard we have made it easy
to tab logically around the map window. We also have a HTML text
version if you don’t have or want to use Adobe Flash. You can also
use your screen reading software to explore our maps and find out
what to do and where to go.
You can use Outdoor Wales onLine to find everything from short
or long hikes to boating and bird watching and picnic areas. You
can use several ways to search for places where you can take part
in activities by:
- entering a place name or a post code into the website's search
- searching within a given distance of a specific location;
- manually zooming in to a specific area on the map;
- searching by the name of a route or site.
There are links to useful information such as weather forecasts,
travel or where to find accommodation. You can also link to web
pages about safety information and codes of conduct about how to
enjoy the Welsh outdoors safely and responsibly in a way that won’t
damage the environment and ensures respect for other users.
Much of the land with public access where you can enjoy
recreational activities is owned by private individuals and Outdoor
Wales onLine will have up-to-date information on where activities
are permissible or where restrictions may apply. Some of the
conditions of agreed public access may be seasonal or subject to
other conditions, so remember to check the information just before
you set out.