Badger setts are protected as well as the
animal. A sett is defined as tunnels and chambers in use by badgers
and the areas immediately outside the entrance holes.
It is an offence to do these things or be reckless about the
consequences of your actions:
- Destroy or damage a badger sett or any part of it
- Obstructing access to a badger sett or any of its
- Send a dog into a badger sett
- Disturb a badger in a badger sett
There are exceptions to these offences:
- If it can be shown that actions were taken in an emergency in
order to prevent serious damage to property.
- If the action was the unintentional result of a lawful
operation and could not reasonably have been avoided.