Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM)
ICZM promotes sustainable management of
coastal areas and brings together social, environmental and
What is ICZM’s guiding principle?
It states that management approaches for the coast should:
- Think ahead – take a long term view
- See the big picture – understand how activities some way from
the coast (on land or at sea) can have an impact there
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Work with nature – rather than against it
- Use a combination of tools to tackle problems
- Get everyone involved
- Develop local solutions to local problems
Taking forward the ICZM process in Wales
CCW supports this process by working alongside partners to
develop joint solutions to management issues.
- CCW is a member of Wales Coastal and Maritime Partnership which
shares best practice, responds to consultations and advises the
Welsh Government on sustainable development.
- CCW is also a member of, or contributes to other local and
regional partnerships such as:
– the Pembrokeshire Coastal Forum
– the Severn Estuary Partnership
– and the Green Seas Partnership