Protected Sites and Landscapes map
The Welsh countryside is at your fingertips - use our interactive map and see where you can go. If you do not have Flash software, we can tell you what you could find and do on the Countryside Access 'interactive' map:
- A map window enables you to navigate throughout Wales. The background Ordnance Survey maps range from small scale (1:250,000) to large scale (1:10,000) as you zoom in or out.
- A search facility allows you to search by place, postcode and name of site.
- A measuring facility can be used to calculate the distance of a route.
- An information tool will give, for any selected route or countryside site, the name, grid reference, Ordnance Survey Explorer Map number and which unitary authority it lies in.
- Links are provided to further information about the site or route and public transport details.
What information could you learn from this map?
Access Land - The interactive map shows Countryside and Rights of Way Act (CROW) Access land, Permissive Access land and land with other rights of access. See the chapter in Enjoying the Country for more information.
Promoted Routes - use an information tool to find more information about particular local routes and Regional and National Trails. See the chapter in Enjoying the Country for more information.
Permissive access on Tir Gofal farms - the landowner or tenant of this land has agreed to allow public access for open-air recreation. Footpaths, access for the disabled and bridleways and cycle ways are highlighted by coloured symbols.
Symbols - Key signs and symbols are used to highlight Country and Urban Parks, Nature Reserves, Visitor Centres, Wildlife and Woodland Trust Sites and National Parks. Use the information tool in the map window to find more details on a particular site.
Exclusions or Restrictions - Sometimes special circumstances might restrict you from visiting land you could otherwise explore. An easy to use mapping function allows you to find information on any restriction on CROW access land. If you are unable to access the maps and wish to find out what restrictions there are in a particular area, please contact our enquiries team on 0845 1306229 or e-mail to email@example.com
Fire Severity Index - this shows the current days forecast as well as the next 5 days allowing you to assess any current fire severity levels next to access restrictions on CROW access land. See the Fire Severity Index chapter in Enjoying the Country for more information.
What useful links are there to this map?
- There is a useful tutorial in flash to this map called 'How to use our maps', giving animated instructions.
You can if you wish download the Flash software from the Adobe website and see the Countryside Access maps for yourself.